Following the original Giving for Life report and resources (2009), a survey of 1,100 parishes across the country (2016) has shown that most are making real progress in adopting good practice. This month letters have been sent to PCC Secretaries, encouraging PCCs to allocate 20 – 30 minutes to discuss how they are doing with giving and stewardship matters, enclosing sheets for PCC members and a Leaders’ Guide for Clergy and Planned Giving Promoters/Treasurers. A video and presentation are also available on the Parish Resources website.
The assessment sheet for PCC members identifies some priority tasks which help encourage giving in the context of discipleship:-
- Preach and teach regularly about giving in the context of discipleship.
- Clearly communicate that giving to the church enables the mission and ministry that flows from it.
- Send an annual, personal ‘thank you’ to regular givers.
- Hold some form of annual review of giving.
- Agree a legacy policy
- Claim Gift Aid regularly, including the Small Donations Scheme.
- Use the Parish Buying service, to help the church take advantage of its scale.