Ordained Self-supporting Ministers (SSMs) play an exciting and increasingly key part within today’s church. The diocese has appointed three Self-Supporting Ministry Advisers (SSMAs), one within each Archdeaconry.
Their role is to offer support and encouragement to SSMs and in particular to:
- hear the views of SSMs on their own experience of ministry
- support and inform appropriate Diocesan Officers with responsibility for the deployment, development and pastoral care of SSMs
- advise on the selection, training and development needs of SSMs
- act as listeners and facilitators should any difficulties arise in an individual SSM’s ministry
- promote theological reflection on self-supporting ministry within the Diocese
- contribute to national research and conversations about self-supporting ministry