Confirmation for young people marks the point on the Christian journey at which they affirm for themselves the faith in which they have been baptised. This affirmation is confirmed through prayer and the laying on of hands by the confirming bishop. The church also prays the Holy Spirit will give the young person power to live life as a committed disciple of Jesus Christ.
Preparing for confirmation
As they prepare for confirmation it is hoped that young people discover new things about God, the Christian faith, the significance of church, worship and Holy Communion, to grow as a disciple of Jesus and learn and how to serve God and the Church in daily life.
Being confirmed is a significant decision for young people, so it is important that those preparing them for confirmation find the most helpful resources to support young people as they take this step on their journey of faith.
‘Live Life’ is a resource for preparing young people for confirmation produced by the dioceses of Bath and Wells and Bristol for more information contact, the Go Team
Other recommended resources
- Are You Ready – Preparing Young People to Live Their Confirmation’ by Pete Maidment
- ‘Faith Confirmed (Preparing for Confirmation)’ by Peter Jackson & Chris Wright
- ‘Reconnecting with Confirmation’ by Pete Maidment, Susie Mapledoram, and Stephen Lake.Church House Publishing (31 Jan 2011) ISBN-10: 0715142089 ISBN-13: 978-0715142080
- ‘Living Your Confirmation’ (Putting promises into action) by Pete Maidment and Paul Butler, SPCK Publishing ISBN 9780281064625
- ‘Youth Emmaus’ by Sue Mayfield, Tim Sledge, Tony Washington & Steve Cottrell. Church House Publishing (2013) ISBN: 9780715143643