For all the latest guidance on reopening from the Church of England and the diocese.
1 July 2020: Latest Church of England guidance with minor changes on private prayer weddings, funerals, baptisms and administration of Holy Communion. New guidance on confirmation services. See downloads section below.
30 June 2020: Latest Church of England guidance, Preparing to Open for Worship
Latest guidance for the safe use of places of worship from 4 July
From 4 July, the Government has announced that gatherings of more than 30 people will be permitted but only in certain public places as set out in law.
Guidance for small weddings and civil partnerships
There are also resources to help with planning for:
- Preparing for individual prayer – updated 1 July
- Preparing to conduct funerals – updated 1 July
- Baptism – updated 1 July
- Holy Communion – updated 1 July
- Confirmation – new guidance, 1 July 2020
Liturgical resources are available for:
As well as the previously available advice to clergy on access to closed church buildings, practical guidance on how to get your building ready includes:
- Revised parish risk assessment document – updated 30 June 2020
- How to get permission for temporary changes to cathedral and church buildings
- Guidance for contractors
Some useful tools if you are thinking of reopening:
- Things to consider graphic – this can also be downloaded from the bottom of this page
- Flowchart made available by the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham. A step by step guide to help understand Government guidance and national Church of England guidance advice. Please be aware you will need to check regularly as advice is constantly being updated.
- Church Print Hub has made posters available for those churches who wish to publicise that their church building is open for private prayer. They will also be made available on the main Church of England website and through the ACNY Resource Hub along with a customisable video soon.The posters – one for outside the church and one to place inside, feature QR codes that take people to some simple prayers and to light a candle online directly from their phones. We know that some people will be grieving and most will have their families in mind, so these resources are designed to offer comfort when hygiene rules may prevent candles, prayer books and cards being available.You can download the posters below. Printed A3 (or larger) posters available to order from Church Print Hub. Like all the other coronavirus resources, they are free and you will only pay P&P.
- There are also Bath and Wells editable PDF templates and signs available from the Communications support: digital and traditional page. If you would like the original publisher files to edit yourselves, please email the comms team.